Organization History: The Alger County Community Collaborative (AC3) was re-established in 2013 after a 3 year hiatus. In 2014, the AC3 adopted the Communities That Care program (CTC), to provide evidenced based prevention programming for all 6th thru 12th grade Alger County youth. Alger youth survey results guide the CTC process in implementing only those programs that directly respond to our youth’s specific needs. We have had two rounds of survey, with a 3rd scheduled for 2018. We have six active CTC work groups with 30 plus members and over 100 AC3 members receiving emails, volunteering or attending meetings.
Mission and goal: – “Alger County United and Thriving: Promoting a safe, healthy and prosperous environment for all youth and adults.”
Current programs, activities and accomplishments:
- January 17—AC3 meeting
- Jan 24-Jeff Olson Presentation at Superior Central, Munising High School (included Munising Baptist and Burt Township students) grades 6th-12th
- Community (over 100 were present)
- Feb 1-Meet and Greet with local business’s
- Feb 3-Evening snow shoe event at Valley Spur with 4-H-Drug and Alcohol week. 10 youth from Superior Central and Munising assisted
- Feb 5-Gery Shelafoe presents our Alger Co. CTC survey data in Washington DC at the SAMHSA conference
- Feb 10-Prime for Life-5 adult participants
- Feb 14- Sweets for a Purpose Fundraiser-$665.00
- Feb 19-26–2018 (3rd round) CTC survey-4 Public Schools and 1 Private School- 350 youth- 6th, 8th, 10th and 12th graders
- March 29–Botvin Life Skills completed for Superior Central, Munising, Munising Baptist and AuTrain-Onota
- April 9-19-Prime for Life for senior students at Superior Central and Munising HS- 60 youth
- April 23—3Rd annual Career Fair-all 8th and 10th grade students in Alger Co.
- May 2-Evidence Based Observational Training-Resource Work Grp.
- May 5—Prime for Life/Adult-9 participants
- May 9-Data Training
- May 11- Alger Community Foundation Grant-$2,500 for speakers
- May 16-AC3 meeting-Lindsey Slifka-Human Trafficking
- May 17 and 18—Pizza with a Purpose fund raiser- $9,000
- June 23- The Pub with a Purpose
- August 25-Prime for Life-Adult-6 attended
- August 28- Cooking Carberry’s-Pizza in the Park!
- September 6-Documentary-‘The Ripple Effect’-Thomas Theater Group
- September 15-‘It’s All in the Barn’ fundraiser
- October 25-Portrait Party at Valley Spur. Calendar models. Fundraiser for gas cards!
- November 2-Key Leader/Community presentation-60 attended
- November 13-Alger Co. Communities That Care data presented in San Diego
- November 14-Alger Co. Narcan training
- December 12- Alger Co. coordinator presents in Nationwide CTC call
To download a document version of the 2018 Recap, click here: AC3 2018 recap.